9 Common Houseplants You Might Not Know Are Poisonous

Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia):

Grows in low-light conditions, but its sap is toxic if ingested, causing tongue burning and swelling. Keep it elevated to prevent access by children and pets.

English Ivy:

Perfect for draping, but ingestion can lead to skin irritation, fever, and rash. Place it high to prevent contact with children and pets.

Easter Lily:

Beautiful, but toxic to cats, causing kidney failure if ingested. Remove pollen to avoid exposure. Safe for children.

Peace Lily:

Low-light plant, toxic if large quantities are eaten. Keep away from pets and children.


Toxic bulbs if eaten, causing stomach problems and even death. Grow them in places inaccessible to disturbance.


Causes swelling and burning if ingested, similar to ivy. Keep it elevated to avoid contact.

Sago Palm:

Poisonous, causing vomiting, diarrhea, and liver failure if ingested. Ensure it's not accessible to pets or children.

ZZ Plant:

Poisonous, should be kept away from children and pets. Requires minimal contact due to its tolerance to neglect.


Causes similar symptoms as philodendron if eaten. Hang it in baskets to keep it out of reach.